Monday, May 9, 2016

Getting my wonky on!

Saturday was a sewing day with friends. We started a small quilt group and call ourselves Mod Squad as we were leaning toward the modern quilting. We meet once a month and have a little meeting/show and tell and then open sewing where we work on whatever project we want.

On Friday I cut out several table runners and took 3 along. As I was setting up my sewing machine I realized I had forgotten my bobbin at home. OK no biggee as a friend had one I could borrow. BUT then I realized I had also forgotten my bobbin cover!  I know exactly what happened, Friday night as I was packing up I decided I should oil by machine. I must have gotten interrupted and didn't put them back in the machine before packing it up.  So another gal had wide masking tape and we fashioned a cover out it. While it worked, it wasn't ideal, definitely slowed me down. However, I did manage to get one runner all pieced(no pic of that one) and most of this wonky one done. So this morning I got busy first thing and finished the piecing of it.

You might remember my first wonky runner here. And a shout out for my bloggy friend, Jayne who has a free tutorial here.  I made this one from a fat quarter pack cutting my own 2.5" sqs.  You will see more runners using different patterns with the same fabrics in the coming days.  I am determined to use up some FQ's this year. I need to clean up an over run cabinet!
 

I love doing the wonky style so much that last month at the Mod Squad meeting I made this 36" sq. neonatal quilt using 5" charms that another bloggy friend sent me. Sandra sent them to us ladies that particpated in the Craftsy blog hop that she and Julie hosted earlier this year . Thank you Sandra, I put them to good use :-)  Jayne also has a tutorial for this one here



And another touch of spring-our apple tree was loaded with blossoms! 

And this guy was cruising through our yard this past week. Not an uncommon thing.  There has been a group of about 11 hanging around from time to time.  But this one was all alone this time.

Joining in with a few inspiring Linky parties on the left side bar. Be sure to check them out and perhaps leave some comment love on a few new to you blogs.


10 comments:

  1. Great improv idea for your machine! Glad you had a productive time sewing... love the wonky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayne's wonky pattern is a good one. You remind me I found a pack of 2.5" charms I forgot I had. They are screaming to be one of those table runners. Glad all worked out after you discovered your bobbin cover was missing. That sounds like something I would do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name of your group, sounds like fun!

    The runner came out nice in spite of those minor challenges. And your neonatal quilt is really pretty in those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your wonky runner and neonatal!! You mod squad must be fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of those charms and a great cause! Thank you for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a great day, it's lovely quilting with friends. Love your wonkys.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always worry I will forget something when I go sew somewhere else. I had to use my fingernail to tighten the needle screw on my serger tonight because I forgot my tool kit. Your wonky blocks look great. I still want to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful table runner Vicki and forgetting your bobbin and bobbin cover sure didn't slow you down at all!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html