Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Twister

I am just squeaking by with meeting my OMG hosted by Elm Street Quilts. At first I couldn't figure out how I wanted to quilt this. It really begged for something a bit custom I thought. Last week I finally figured out what to do, and I thought I'll just get the backing ready. Next thing I know, it was loaded on my frame, and I was in the mood to quilt. As a longarmer, we appreciate finding a path to travel that eliminates as many starts and stops as possible. If I started in the right spot I could make 4 passes across the interior of the quilt without breaking and burying the thread.  

In the colored pinwheel sections I did a continuous curve (CC).  Then I snuck over into the white and used my straight ruler to outline 1/4" away and made a small stipple traveling back to continue with the CC in the colored area.  The narrow lime green border got SID each time I advanced the quilt forward on the frame.

The eggplant border was the last thing I did. It's a modified piano key border.  See how the arc, at the top of the piano key, mimics the arc in the pinwheel pulling it all together.

This 1" line stencil from Pam Clarke and miracle chalk (or baby powder) and a foam brush came in handy to mark lines every 2" to use as a guide for the modified piano keys.

 I used a Glide light silver thread on top and a darker taupe on the back to blend but still gives it texture.
For the binding I used all the leftovers from the pinwheel sections. I had just enough!   Now I had a little error on the binding.  I wanted to use Suzy's magic binding technique but she has it being a 2.75" binding and I always prefer 2.25". Therefore I chose to cut mine less-now mind you I have done this before. But somehow, I cut it different this time and in the end the print one was too large to SID to the front so I ended up stitching it all down by hand like any normal person would do, LOL  It looks fine, it just wasn't the look I was going for.  I am glad it is done, out of my closet, and now I can move on to something else!   And I do have something exciting to share with you later this week!!!!


Linking with OMG and Freemotion by the River


21 comments:

  1. Love your quilting! Since you used 2 different color threads, do you have little dots of the bottom color peeking through the silver thread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love whirlygigs - they make me happy. But your quilting just took this to a whole new level. Love that pop of green next to the purple. Kudos on making the OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love my line stencils. Your quilt looks great. Congratulations on meeting your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilting! Everything complements the quilt piecing so nicely. I love the added touch of the little curves in the piano key border. Congrats on finishing your OMG for the month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congats on finishing your OMG. Love this bright quilt. You quilted great designs to allow a continuous path. Great idea to put the little curves on the piano keys - must remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congats on finishing your OMG. Love this bright quilt. You quilted great designs to allow a continuous path. Great idea to put the little curves on the piano keys - must remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great finish! the quilting is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out really fantastic! Love the arcs in the piano keys

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great quilting!! Finding the right "Path" is always a longarm quilters goal!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quilting and pattern. Congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finish, Vicki! I love the eggplant border, it ties everything together well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! It is so beautiful and the quilting is just perfect. Love the piano key design in the border. Gosh, it is beautiful on both sides. Excellent work. This design is inspiring me. Thanks Vicki for the ideas. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you figured out the way to minimize your stops and starts! It's always worth a little extra brain time in the beginning to do that, in my opinion. Work smarter, not harder :) That piano key border quilting looks so nice, gotta try that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the quilt, it's on my bucket list

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful quilt. I love how you quilted it and I really like the pop of color at the binding. Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful finish! Congrats on meeting your February goal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It turned out great!! Glad you got "inspired" Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a super fun quilt! Love the quilting and love that stencil idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. congratulations. It looks great and I like the way you described the process

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html